31.8.07

A Trip Through Hell

It's 110 degrees and the skin on my face is flaking off. I have driving for five hours in this god forsaken hell hole. With the windows open. Dashboard board flashing warning lights. The steering wheel fighting me like a mexican pit bull in Guadalajara.

I had pushed my why through the spaghetti roads of Zion and pulled my way through the Black Hills of Northern Arizona. I was on the home stretch. I was going to make it.

I pull into Vegas and weave my way through traffic. Exit to Sahara – Salvation, but which way... I pick west. I hope it's right. I drive and hit my first stop light since Denver. The car starts to die. I slam on the gas. It comes back. Green = go, second light repeat. Third light, the whole dashboard lights up like a christmas tree. The gas gauge drops from 1/2 to none. I gun it, shift into neutral, turn right, and glide into the gas station. The car is still running I can still fill up.

I hop out – it dies. Shit! 5 hours and it dies a mile from my final destination.

Tow truck is called, jump start, glide into the shop.

that was hard.

No comments: